Friday, January 13, 2017

Lavender spray

Inspired by this beading pin:


This was tatted with two threads of DMC Rayon thread from a skein. I kept it a simple rings and chains pattern. I counted how many rings the picture had and based the double stitch counts off that. Seventeen rings so each ring was seventeen double stitches.
 
At first I began with two double stitches for the chains, but after doing a repeat, I changed it. It was too difficult to twist it to shape the stem. I increased the chain to three and this seemed to wrap better. I had wanted to do the chains with a color that would continue on to encapsulate the rest of the loose threads at the end as well as the wire that would help shape it.  I went with a green that I had left over from a previous tatting project.
 
After completing the tatting I began to twist it into shape, while trying to include the wire that would help maintain it. This proved to be more difficult than what I had hoped for. The twisting of the rings around this wire was a challenge. Or rather, getting the rings to lay the way I wanted was a challenge.
  
I didn't like how the green from the chain showed through so much. I tired several different ways to wrap these but wasn't getting the results I wanted. I ended up hooking the base of the first ring with the wire. I then began shaping the rings in a circular fashion. After about two or three rings I would twist the wire around the base of the chain/ring. I kept the wire straight in the center and continued the "shaping" around it. Again I would wrap the wire around the third ring twisting around until I reached the end of the "stalk".

 
I clipped the blue thread closer to where the last chain split from the ring and then using the green did a bit of encapsulating the rest of the wire. I worked a few more removing the second color from it.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Red, white...bobbles



The multi-month Pin Challenge is finally complete! This was work in the end with 2 strands of size 10 crochet thread. I began with a ball of bamboo thread that I had laying around. Then I switched to mixing a strand of metallic thread to give it a bit of sparkle. That quickly lost it's appeal because it was such a hassle trying to keep the threads from tangling with one another. The effect was very pretty, I simply didn't have the patience to keep all those threads together. So I began again, with 2 strands of thread.
After completing the base and side panels, I went to work on the bobble panel of the purse. After one was done, I saw my tension needed to be reworked, so I unraveled it and began again.
 
The smaller ball is some of the thread from the larger ball rewound onto it to make it easier to manage the threads. I joined the sides together because I kept misplacing them and didn't want to have to redo those as well.
This is one completed bobble panel! I was so happy when it was done. 


My sewing skills are almost non-existent so I did my best to join them without being too rough. I have to say, as I was joining the second bobble panel, I got nervous. The opening left was not very much and I was afraid of how tight the top would end up.

It seems to hold quite a bit for being small. Now the instructions say to reinforce it with some crafting foam or something similar. I didn't do it at this stage because the bag has gotten a bit dingy with all the handling. I also had to try and find the finding to attach the handles to the purse. I actually didn't want to spend anymore on this purse, so I looked through my stash until I found some mini buckles that are for para-cord bracelet making. There were 6 in the pack, so I was thinking of doing a longer handles for when I wanted to use it as a backpack or crossover purse. This is where the buckles made it adaptable. I did buy the zipper in black to match the buckles and try to bring in the colors together.



This little purse holds quite a bit of stuff and is just the right size for me. The edges there a bit pronounced, and I thought of undoing that and restitching it. Then, my youngest said the words I dread..."Mom, is that for me?" It took me 2 balls of size 10 thread crochet thread and almost 6 months of work to get it done. Making another one with my hands muscle memory still fresh shouldn't be too hard right?

Saturday, August 27, 2016

August...thirsty

June and July's challenge are still WIPs. Since they both use the same skill set I'll post them together on a later post. This month's challenge was actually suggested by my sister-in-law. She found this cute Pokémon Bulbasaur planter on Pintrest. Then after going to YouTube for further reference, a self watering one was discovered! The original planter was made with a 3D machine, this version is an adaptation. It was made with clay and painted afterwards and made self-watering.


With a bulk box of white Sculpty clay we began molding it. This process actually took an hour to complete. I was too focused on doing that, that I neglected to take pictures. As the main planter was baking, we made the small bowl that would hold water for the plant. After baking and painting we sealed it with a few coats of waterproof varnish. I have to admit, we began to lose some patience after painting the main planter. A piece of sponge acquired at the dollar store was cut out for the tongue. We inserted a Succulent and Poof! He's done!


Looking at my version I noticed, too late, that my Bulbasaur looked a bit cross eyed. That's okay though, I'll just say he's really focused on his aim! This was such a cute a fun project that I may make a couple more using other round-ish Pokémon, like Oddish , for example.